Saturday, October 23, 2010

seriously

I LOVE talking home school talk.
I LOVE talking about my kids.
I LOVE talking about choices and freedom.
I LOVE talking about LIFE with others.
**WHO I KNOW**
**WHO KNOW MY KIDS**
**WHO CARE- about me and my kids**

I do not love defending myself, explaining myself, or having to repair damage done to my kids by others insenstive words.

I do think God has called us to a certain life that is not for everyone.
I do think I can share my experience with others.
I do have a duty and responsiblity to share with others- that really care and know us.

There is huge difference though- in neglecing my children and making them suffer needlessly in a shopping cart while strangers are rude and demanding - and 'sharing our story with others'.

Case in point:
I take the 5 children to one childs OT appointment yesterday. There is a woman waiting for someone to finish rehab in the adult part. As we walk by to go the chidlren's part, she says they are not all of my children. I smile and say yes they are. She says, no no they are not. I smile bigger and laugh a little and say yes, yes they are. they are all mine. .* by this point i have walked past her. again she says no they are not all yours. so Iturn sideways and look at her and yes- they are. They are all mine. She looks and me and sucks a huge breath in and her mouth goes big- she has seen my belly. She exclaims. I say yes- before she can- and yes, I am expecting another. I have 6 children and I love each and every one of them and think each and every one is a special gift from God. and we walk on, not looking back, and go into the childrens waiting room- where we can hear her talking loudly, i suppose to anyone who can hear or will listen- 'she must love all children, they don't all look like her', and on and on and on. i close the door to our waiting room- for my precious gifts can hear her.

It is not that I was haiving a bad day, it is not that i do not know I am called to be a light into the darkness.
I in fact was haivng a good day, for I showed her grace and did not get attitudy or rude with her.
I was in fact a light, not saying what I might be tempted to say as a tired mom when caught off guard, 'yes they'll all mine, believe me, they've each said mama to me 1,000 times today'.

This is more so to point out and educate those who would speak without considering little ears.

All of my children know and are aware, they don't look like me.
They don't look like each other.
They know they are one of many.
They all feel this and do not need it highlighted as a negative thing when they leave the house.

We think of ourselves as normal- as you think of yourself as normal.

I do not stop the woman buying lunchables and diapers who has no kids with her and say:
You're a mom?
Where are your kids?
How old are they?
You leave them?
every day?
for hours?
how do you feel about being away from them?
do you worry about them?
What about the negative effects of your decision?
do you wonder if you've made the right decision?
do you feel selfish?
are you planning on doing this permanently?
what about when they're grown?
how will they feel about it?

Yet these are the type of questions they ask me, and my kids hear them. I am thankful we have educated our children about our decisions and they feel secure and agree with God's plan for our lives at this moment.

There is huge difference in asking questions to educate yourself and furthering your understanding of a friend and their daily life and asking rude questions to strangers. Let us all help those who need this differnece pointed out to them in a graceful, loving way.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

amen sista. When will it end? never? it's exhausting, I know. I like what you said that "we think of ourselves as normal." that's what is so hard...other people will continue to ask when we are WAY past the point of newness. We get "how are they adjusting?" all the time and i am so tired of that question! They've been home for over 2 years now...let's move on to other things.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing. Stopped by your blog and was incredibly blessed by all of your posts. As a homeschooling mom and beginning our process of adopting from Taiwan, each one of them touched me. God bless you and your family!